Manufacturers

Advertising

Museum of Russian history abroad (1897-1914). Brotherhood of St. Vladimir. Catalogue of the collection. From the Coins and Medals Departament of the Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts


75,00 € tax incl.

The exhibition is dedicated to the collection of the Museum, which was founded by Alexey Maltsev (1854–1915) in Berlin-Tegel in 1897.

Archpriest Alexey Petrovich Maltsev (1854–1915) was a prior of the church of the Russian embassy in Berlin since 1886. He founded the Brotherhood of St. Vladimir in Berlin in 1890. The Brotherhood is the oldest Russian benevolent society in Germany. Grand Duke Vladimir Alexandrovich (1847–1909), brother of Emperor Alexander III, was the first patron of Brotherhood. Eight Russian Orthodox churches in Germany were opened by Brotherhood’s members and Alexey Maltsev.

Paintings, prints, religious items, various documents, coins and medals were being kept in the collection. Persons who visited house mentioned that there were 14 showcases with various exhibits in the museum. Collection comprised 2000 paintings and prints as well. The museum was being open for visitors in the Brotherhood’s house during 18 years till 1914. Maltsev committed the numismatic collection of the Museum to the family of Oscar Kvaas. In 1956, Elizabeth Kvaas donated the collection to the USSR. Since that time it has been stored in the Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts and the document revealing the history of this collection is kept in the Museum’s archives. The Brotherhood Society and Museum’s archive was lost during two World Wars.

300 Russian and European medals, awards, coins and tokens are planning to be exhibited. Medals dedicated to the Brotherhood’s churches in Bad Kissingen and Görbersdorf (Sokolovsko, Poland) as well as awards are of special interest.

 

Thus, surviving part of the collection of the Brotherhood’s Museum of Russian history is coming to light one century after it was considered to had been lost.

The exhibition is dedicated to the collection of the Museum, which was founded by Alexey Maltsev (1854–1915) in Berlin-Tegel in 1897.
Archpriest Alexey Petrovich Maltsev (1854–1915) was a prior of the church of the Russian embassy in Berlin since 1886. He founded the Brotherhood of St. Vladimir in Berlin in 1890. The Brotherhood is the oldest Russian benevolent society in Germany. Grand Duke Vladimir Alexandrovich (1847–1909), brother of Emperor Alexander III, was the first patron of Brotherhood. Eight Russian Orthodox churches in Germany were opened by Brotherhood’s members and Alexey Maltsev.
Paintings, prints, religious items, various documents, coins and medals were being kept in the collection. Persons who visited house mentioned that there were 14 showcases with various exhibits in the museum. Collection comprised 2000 paintings and prints as well. The museum was being open for visitors in the Brotherhood’s house during 18 years till 1914. Maltsev committed the numismatic collection of the Museum to the family of Oscar Kvaas. In 1956, Elizabeth Kvaas donated the collection to the USSR. Since that time it has been stored in the Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts and the document revealing the history of this collection is kept in the Museum’s archives. The Brotherhood Society and Museum’s archive was lost during two World Wars.
300 Russian and European medals, awards, coins and tokens are planning to be exhibited. Medals dedicated to the Brotherhood’s churches in Bad Kissingen and Görbersdorf (Sokolovsko, Poland) as well as awards are of special interest.
Thus, surviving part of the collection of the Brotherhood’s Museum of Russian history is coming to light one century after it was considered to had been lost.
 

 

  • Author: Volkova U.
  • Title: Музей Русской истории за границей (1897-1914) при Свято-князь-Владимирском братстве. Каталог коллекции
  • Title (English translation): Museum of Russian history abroad (1897-1914). Brotherhood of St. Vladimir. Catalogue of the collection. From the Coins and Medals Departament of the Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts
  • Language: Russian
  • Publisher: The Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts
  • Place of Publication: Moscow
  • Year of Publication: 2015
  • ISBN: 978-5-905942-95-2
  • Size: 20х31 сm
  • Pages: 340
  • Cover: soft cover
  • Illustrations: color ill.
  • Cart  

    (empty)

    New products

    No new products at this time

    Specials

    No specials at this time